Thursday, June 11, 2009

My MAC MSFs

Gold Deposit (Above Left) So Ceylon is on the right, but it's in a shadow....
Petticoat MSF (above)
Refined MSF (Above) 




MAC MSF's (Mineralized Skinfinishes) are extremely famous in the makeup world. The process of making an MSF is long and difficult, involving 24 to 48 hours of baking and no binders to hold the product together (they use binders in products such as their Studio Fix Powder. This causes my skin to break out). MAC's MSFs (and most of their mineralized products) are my favorites from MAC. I own a variety: some of which I like and some of which I don't like. Here is a list of the ones I own:
-Refined
-Perfect Topping
-Gold Deposit
-Soft and Gentle
-Petticoat
-MSF Natural
Sure, it's only 6 but I'll certainly be getting a hefty haul from the upcoming Color Craft collection (released on July 9 in the States). It has about six new mineralized skinfinishes and I'll be all over them!!

On to the review: when applied with a 182 or 187, these powders can deliver some startling and positive results. 

Refined, from the Sugarsweet collection, gives a peachy glow to my NC35 skin tone. It has very little shimmer and, although stunning in its pan, I find myself rarely EVER reaching for it. Something about the Sugarsweet MSFs was very beautiful (probably the "melange" or mixture of different colors). However, the product was a little deceiving in the pan. It'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.



Perfect Topping, another from Sugarsweet, in more on the light pink side. Also lacking in glitter (a good thing!), it's very subtle. However, just like Refined, my hand very rarely reaches for it. I'd give it a 6 out of 10 because it is pretty nice and is gorgeous in the pan.  

Gold Deposit is STUNNING. Honestly it sticks out most in my collection. It is a rich bronze gold color will extreme shimmer. It is seriously terrifying and someone pale like me might turn away from this automatically. However, I apply it as a bronze (of course) VERY LIGHTLY and it gives me such a healthy glow. The downside? It's on the shimmery side which defines pores. It is a great summer color, though and also can be used on the eyelids for a nice bronze. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10 because it might not be fantastic for really pale girls and is too shimmery.   

Soft and Gentle was such a big hit that I had to get it!! Much to my disappointment, it turned out like a hot mess on my face. It's too silvery and light and trust me, I'm really pale as is. Any imperfection or bump on my face was highlighted by the silver shimmer. I thought it'd be pretty for summer and give me a healthy glow, but it really looks fake and just sits on my face...I'd give it a 5 out of 10 because it is pretty in the pan and might make for a good body shimmer?

I acquired Petticoat from a friend who really didn't like it. I was hesitant at first to use it because my friend has skin similar to mine and has a great taste in makeup. If she hated it, what would make it any different for me? IT IS SO PRETTY. The perfect blush. Perfect. Its a pinkish reddish whitish (great description, I know) and is just so gorgeous on me. It is a little shimmery, but makes many skin tones look so nice. I don't know how it would look on dark, dark skin, though. 27 dollars for a blush may seem like a horrible price, but I REALLY like it. It is not longer sold at MAC, but maybe you can find it on Ebay for a cheap price, go to CCO, or MAC might re-promote it. It'd give it an 8 out of 10 (for the price and a little too much shimmer for my liking)

MSF Natural is actually very nice. It's pretty matte but has a subtle shimmer if you look at it carefully. I got it in light thinking that I'm very pale and therefore need it. But I DEFINITELY need light medium. Light is REALLY light. Maybe once I turn very white in the winter it might be a nice highlighter....but this is a good product so I would recommend it. 8.5 out of 10. 

NOTE: THESE IMAGES ARE NOT MINE!!! I DID NOT TAKE THESE PICTURES WITH MY OWN CAMERA!


No comments:

Post a Comment